DPR Makes Its Arizona Office Net-Zero
DPR Construction has retrofitted its own Phoenix Regional Office to achieve net-zero energy consumption.
DPR was both the owner and contractor for the renovation project, turning a circa-1972 abandoned retail boutique into an office that produces as much or more energy than it consumes. The building has been certified as a Net-Zero Energy Building by the International Living Future Institute through its Living Building Challenge program. In addition, the building achieved LEED Platinum certification from the US Green Building Council.
DPR says it purposely chose a building that was nearing the end of its intended lifecycle and in an extreme climate to show it was possible to build sustainably in a desert.
The renovated 16,533-sq-foot office includes:
- 87 operable windows working in tandem with the energy monitoring system to open and close based on the relative indoor and outdoor temperatures;
- 87-foot zinc clad solar chimney which creates a convection current to release hot air out of the building while drawing cooler air in;
- Shower towers that act as evaporative coolers by working together with the operable windows and solar chimney to regulate building temperatures;
- Twelve eight-foot Isis Big Ass Fans that enable free air flow within the office;
- 82 strategically positioned Solatubes that nearly eliminate the need for artificial daytime lighting;
- Online building dashboard to track the energy production of its 78.96 kW DC photovoltaic system and energy consumption of the building;
- A “vampire” shut-off switch to thwart any electrical devices – microwaves, cellphone charges, radios – that draw energy from power plugs when there are no occupants in the building.
The retrofit was completed in less than 10 months, with a team that included national design firm SmithGroupJJR and global consulting firm DNV KEMA Energy and Sustainability.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement