Eaton Introduces ESS Plus
Eaton launched its Energy Saver System (ESS) Plus technology in the Americas, which features a new harmonic reduction system engineered to detect and automatically correct harmonic currents before they affect data center hardware and business continuity.
The company says ESS Plus is the first in the industry to enable large, three-phase uninterruptible power systems (UPSs) operating in energy-saving modes to mitigate harmonics, correct power factor and balance loads for increased reliability and efficiency.
Operating a UPS in energy-saver mode has become more prevalent as the need for data center efficiency increases.
The company says the system maximizes efficiency of ESS in applications where load harmonics, poor power factor, or unbalanced loads exist. The feature is designed to eliminate the need to apply additional equipment, such as a harmonic filter or harmonic mitigating transformer.
Eaton adds that UPSs are engineered to save money and enhance environmental sustainability by reducing data center energy waste up to 10 percent under typical load conditions.
ESS Plus builds on Eaton’s ESS technology, which allows UPSs to achieve up to 99 percent energy efficiency across all load levels. ESS Plus enables the UPS to monitor currents from the critical load for harmonic distortion. If it detects harmonics in excess of predetermined and adjustable limits, the system is designed to inject an additional current into the line that’s identical to but 180 degrees opposite of the harmonic current coming from the load, effectively canceling out the electrical disturbance.
The ESS Plus is available as an option for the Eaton 9395 UPS. Existing 9395 units also have the capability to upgrade to ESS Plus.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape