Eaton Introduces ESS Plus
Eaton launched its Energy Saver System (ESS) Plus technology in the Americas, which features a new harmonic reduction system engineered to detect and automatically correct harmonic currents before they affect data center hardware and business continuity.
The company says ESS Plus is the first in the industry to enable large, three-phase uninterruptible power systems (UPSs) operating in energy-saving modes to mitigate harmonics, correct power factor and balance loads for increased reliability and efficiency.
Operating a UPS in energy-saver mode has become more prevalent as the need for data center efficiency increases.
The company says the system maximizes efficiency of ESS in applications where load harmonics, poor power factor, or unbalanced loads exist. The feature is designed to eliminate the need to apply additional equipment, such as a harmonic filter or harmonic mitigating transformer.
Eaton adds that UPSs are engineered to save money and enhance environmental sustainability by reducing data center energy waste up to 10 percent under typical load conditions.
ESS Plus builds on Eaton’s ESS technology, which allows UPSs to achieve up to 99 percent energy efficiency across all load levels. ESS Plus enables the UPS to monitor currents from the critical load for harmonic distortion. If it detects harmonics in excess of predetermined and adjustable limits, the system is designed to inject an additional current into the line that’s identical to but 180 degrees opposite of the harmonic current coming from the load, effectively canceling out the electrical disturbance.
The ESS Plus is available as an option for the Eaton 9395 UPS. Existing 9395 units also have the capability to upgrade to ESS Plus.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement