EDF Fellows Save Firms an Average $1 Million in Energy Efficiency
Each summer the Environmental Defense Fund places specially-trained graduate students in companies, cities and universities to build the business case for energy efficiency.
On average, fellows in the EDF’s Climate Corps have found $1 million in energy-saving opportunities for host organizations.
The EDF is currently accepting host applications for its Climate Corps Summer 2013 program; the deadline is February 28.
Ingersoll Rand has hosted six Climate Corps fellows over the past four summers and will participate again in 2013. According to Scott Tew, Ingersoll Rand’s executive director at the center for energy efficiency and sustainability, in the last three summers, the fellows have identified:
- Annual savings of more than $1.75 million
- More than 12 million kWh of avoided energy use
- More than 10 million metric tons of avoided carbon emissions
For each of the last three summers, two fellows worked at Ingersoll Rand where they conducted energy audits of various Ingersoll Rand facilities and identified areas where energy could be saved, the amount of capital investment needed to implement changes, annual cost savings, annual CO2 reductions, and overall energy saved per square foot.
The fellows also worked on other projects at Ingersoll Rand, building the business case for investments in energy efficiency, creating standardized models, assessment tools and measurement criteria, and benchmarking internal audit practices and capabilities against external tools and standards such as the emerging DOE commercial building auditing system.
The EDF has announced the first 36 organizations to sign up for this summer.
New organizations include:
- Baxter International
- Boston Housing Authority
- Boston Medical Center
- Boston Public Health Commission
- Children’s Defense Fund
- City of Boston
- Cytec Industries
- DreamWorks Animation
- General Motors
- Glendale Community College
- International Warehouse Logistics Association
- Massachusetts Port Authority
- Mondelez International
- NYSE Euronext
- Office Depot
- PepsiCo Americas Foods
- Town of Cary (NC)
Repeat organizations include:
- Bank of America
- Caesar’s Entertainment
- CA Technologies
- City of Cleveland
- Genzyme (a Sanofi Company)
- Hilex Poly
- Ingersoll Rand
- JPMorgan Chase
- Mack Trucks
- New York City Housing Authority
- PepsiCo Americas Beverages
- QTS (Quality Technology Services)
- Shorenstein Properties
- Syniverse Technologies
- Verizon Communications
- Volvo Construction Equipment
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- There’s Money in the Trash
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls