Efficiency Project Saves African ArcelorMittal Plant $9.7m
The project was the product of a energy management strategy that was launched in 2010, Dhesan Moodley, the general manager of the steel and mining giant’s Saldanha works (pictured) in South Africa’s Western Cape province, told ESI-Africa.com.
Initially, any potential savings were identified through an energy audit and an examination of its existing project list. The plant then initiated an ISO 50001-compliant energy management system that cut its energy use by 6.6 percent in a year, according to the interview.
Moodley says that the installation of a number of variable speed drive technologies delivered “greater savings that expected” and that a waste heat recovery project enacted at Saldanha’s roller hearth furnace has completely replaced a diesel heater at the facility’s air separation plant. The company has also installed some optimization projects at the water pump plant that required no capital expenditure.
The next project that Moodley is excited about is a contract that will replace the plant’s use of liquid petroleum gas in certain places with biogas from a bio-digester.
Lessons Moodley learned from the project include the need to assign resources if you are “really serious” about saving energy and the importance of staff training on efficiency issues and behavior.
Moodley also says that introducing energy savings is relatively easy when compared to sustaining them. This is especially true if continued savings rely on altering human behavior, Moodley says. The implementation of a system such as ISO 50001 can be invaluable to entrench and sustain such savings, he says.
In December, ArcelorMittal Indiana Harbor, the largest steel mill in North America commissioned a $63 million energy recovery project. The 504-boiler project recycles blast furnace gas to produce high-pressure steam used to power its steel mill. Prior to the commissioning 22 percent, or 46 bn cubic feet, of blast furnace gas per year was wasted when it was flared into the atmosphere.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- LED Myths and Facts
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing