Elevator Upgrades Reduce Energy for Hyatt Hotel
Germany-based ThyssenKrupp Elevator offers two recent examples of elevator upgrades saving energy and money for companies.
The modernization of two elevators in the 20-story Hyatt Place Hotel Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii, resulted in a significant increase in building efficiency. In a “Geared to Gearless” modernization conducted by ThyssenKrupp Elevator, the elevators originally installed in 1974 were upgraded with high-performance gearless drives, modern control systems with energy recuperation, and energy-efficient LED cab lighting. A before and after analysis shows energy consumption was reduced by 56 percent and both drive performance and ride quality were significantly improved.
In a second example, the German utility RWE updated its headquarters in Essen with new energy efficient elevators from ThyssenKrupp. Four of the building’s eight passenger elevators – built and installed in the 1980s – were fitted with state-of-the-art control and drive systems. A combination of gearless synchronized drives, frequency converters and energy recovery systems turned the elevators into energy savers. In a recent certification process from the TÜV SÜD technical inspection agency, the elevators were awarded an A-class energy efficiency rating to VDI standard 4707 – based on the testing of one of the units in normal operation. Prior to modernization the old installation was rated efficiency class D. The total energy saving is over 70 percent.
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software