Elevator Upgrades Reduce Energy for Hyatt Hotel
Germany-based ThyssenKrupp Elevator offers two recent examples of elevator upgrades saving energy and money for companies.
The modernization of two elevators in the 20-story Hyatt Place Hotel Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii, resulted in a significant increase in building efficiency. In a “Geared to Gearless” modernization conducted by ThyssenKrupp Elevator, the elevators originally installed in 1974 were upgraded with high-performance gearless drives, modern control systems with energy recuperation, and energy-efficient LED cab lighting. A before and after analysis shows energy consumption was reduced by 56 percent and both drive performance and ride quality were significantly improved.
In a second example, the German utility RWE updated its headquarters in Essen with new energy efficient elevators from ThyssenKrupp. Four of the building’s eight passenger elevators – built and installed in the 1980s – were fitted with state-of-the-art control and drive systems. A combination of gearless synchronized drives, frequency converters and energy recovery systems turned the elevators into energy savers. In a recent certification process from the TÜV SÜD technical inspection agency, the elevators were awarded an A-class energy efficiency rating to VDI standard 4707 – based on the testing of one of the units in normal operation. Prior to modernization the old installation was rated efficiency class D. The total energy saving is over 70 percent.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room