Elevator Upgrades Reduce Energy for Hyatt Hotel
Germany-based ThyssenKrupp Elevator offers two recent examples of elevator upgrades saving energy and money for companies.
The modernization of two elevators in the 20-story Hyatt Place Hotel Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii, resulted in a significant increase in building efficiency. In a “Geared to Gearless” modernization conducted by ThyssenKrupp Elevator, the elevators originally installed in 1974 were upgraded with high-performance gearless drives, modern control systems with energy recuperation, and energy-efficient LED cab lighting. A before and after analysis shows energy consumption was reduced by 56 percent and both drive performance and ride quality were significantly improved.
In a second example, the German utility RWE updated its headquarters in Essen with new energy efficient elevators from ThyssenKrupp. Four of the building’s eight passenger elevators – built and installed in the 1980s – were fitted with state-of-the-art control and drive systems. A combination of gearless synchronized drives, frequency converters and energy recovery systems turned the elevators into energy savers. In a recent certification process from the TÜV SÜD technical inspection agency, the elevators were awarded an A-class energy efficiency rating to VDI standard 4707 – based on the testing of one of the units in normal operation. Prior to modernization the old installation was rated efficiency class D. The total energy saving is over 70 percent.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- There’s Money in the Trash
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide