Energy Department Awards Innovation Grants
The Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) awarded $17 million in Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) projects to help small businesses in 13 states.
The grants are intended to develop technologies to improve manufacturing energy efficiency, reduce the cost of installing clean energy projects and generate electricity from renewable energy sources. Wind turbine blades that are easier to transport and use less energy is one example. An electrochromic window technology that can achieve a 30 percent reduction in energy use, and a solar energy system that reduces installation costs and generates power in less time are others.
These projects will focus on developing clean energy technologies with a strong potential for commercialization and job creation, according to the department. Technologies from the 17 projects include:
- Hydropower: Amjet Turbine Systems will develop lightweight, low-cost hydro turbines that can generate electricity from low-head dams and rivers all over the world.
- Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling: Sheetak is developing a low-cost solid-state heat pump technology that cuts the energy needed to heat water for commercial buildings and homes.
- Electric Vehicles: Mainstream Engineering will develop a hybrid electric turbocharger to help charge plug-in electric vehicles faster – providing drivers with more options to save money on fuel and cut carbon emissions.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection