Energy Department Awards Innovation Grants
The Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) awarded $17 million in Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) projects to help small businesses in 13 states.
The grants are intended to develop technologies to improve manufacturing energy efficiency, reduce the cost of installing clean energy projects and generate electricity from renewable energy sources. Wind turbine blades that are easier to transport and use less energy is one example. An electrochromic window technology that can achieve a 30 percent reduction in energy use, and a solar energy system that reduces installation costs and generates power in less time are others.
These projects will focus on developing clean energy technologies with a strong potential for commercialization and job creation, according to the department. Technologies from the 17 projects include:
- Hydropower: Amjet Turbine Systems will develop lightweight, low-cost hydro turbines that can generate electricity from low-head dams and rivers all over the world.
- Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling: Sheetak is developing a low-cost solid-state heat pump technology that cuts the energy needed to heat water for commercial buildings and homes.
- Electric Vehicles: Mainstream Engineering will develop a hybrid electric turbocharger to help charge plug-in electric vehicles faster – providing drivers with more options to save money on fuel and cut carbon emissions.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement