Energy Department Awards Innovation Grants
The Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) awarded $17 million in Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) projects to help small businesses in 13 states.
The grants are intended to develop technologies to improve manufacturing energy efficiency, reduce the cost of installing clean energy projects and generate electricity from renewable energy sources. Wind turbine blades that are easier to transport and use less energy is one example. An electrochromic window technology that can achieve a 30 percent reduction in energy use, and a solar energy system that reduces installation costs and generates power in less time are others.
These projects will focus on developing clean energy technologies with a strong potential for commercialization and job creation, according to the department. Technologies from the 17 projects include:
- Hydropower: Amjet Turbine Systems will develop lightweight, low-cost hydro turbines that can generate electricity from low-head dams and rivers all over the world.
- Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling: Sheetak is developing a low-cost solid-state heat pump technology that cuts the energy needed to heat water for commercial buildings and homes.
- Electric Vehicles: Mainstream Engineering will develop a hybrid electric turbocharger to help charge plug-in electric vehicles faster – providing drivers with more options to save money on fuel and cut carbon emissions.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management