Energy Department Awards Innovation Grants
The Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) awarded $17 million in Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) projects to help small businesses in 13 states.
The grants are intended to develop technologies to improve manufacturing energy efficiency, reduce the cost of installing clean energy projects and generate electricity from renewable energy sources. Wind turbine blades that are easier to transport and use less energy is one example. An electrochromic window technology that can achieve a 30 percent reduction in energy use, and a solar energy system that reduces installation costs and generates power in less time are others.
These projects will focus on developing clean energy technologies with a strong potential for commercialization and job creation, according to the department. Technologies from the 17 projects include:
- Hydropower: Amjet Turbine Systems will develop lightweight, low-cost hydro turbines that can generate electricity from low-head dams and rivers all over the world.
- Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling: Sheetak is developing a low-cost solid-state heat pump technology that cuts the energy needed to heat water for commercial buildings and homes.
- Electric Vehicles: Mainstream Engineering will develop a hybrid electric turbocharger to help charge plug-in electric vehicles faster – providing drivers with more options to save money on fuel and cut carbon emissions.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide