Energy Department Seeks ‘Wave Energy’ Innovators
The two funding opportunities would support design, manufacturing, demonstration, and testing of sustainable, environmentally responsible marine and hydrokinetic energy devices and components.
The Energy Department will make $6.5 million available to develop a wave energy converter (WEC) competition. The competition challenges individuals, universities, and existing and emerging companies to improve the performance and lower the cost of energy produced by WEC devices. The intent is that after launch, the competition will help attract ideas across this industry to demonstrate innovative technologies that produce energy from ocean waves. The funding opportunity seeks an organization to develop and administer the WEC Prize.
The Energy Department will also make $3.5 million available for the development and testing of MHK sensors, instruments, and processing techniques. These funds will support the development of new instruments to measure the environmental impacts of MHK technologies, test and integrate environmental monitoring instrumentation packages, and develop and test sensors and instruments to collect data on the characteristics of waves, including their height, period, direction and steepness.
The solicitation closes on May 22.
In recent months, the Energy Department has announced $10 million funding opportunities to deploy energy efficiency technologies for commercial buildings, enhanced geothermal systems and support for research, development, and manufacturing of solid-state lighting technologies.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement