Energy Efficiency at Schools: Massachusetts Colleges, Wesleyan University
Massachusetts colleges and universities will have access to a $2 million fund from Mass College Green to complete energy saving projects, according to the Boston Business Journal.
Mass College Green was created by GreenerU, which works with educational institutions to help them increase energy efficiency.
GreenerU expects to fund about six projects at state colleges, each in the range of $200,000 to $350,000. The chosen colleges will not have to pay any upfront costs, but will pay back the investments through the energy savings they realize over five years.
Wesleyan University in Middletown, Ct., replaced the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) in its Center For the Arts Rehearsal Hall this summer. The energy efficiency project consolidated mechanical rooms and included the installation of a heat pump and an exterior dry cooler, according to the Wesleyan Argus. The new HVAC will provide cooling, heating, and dehumidification during the shoulder seasons when the power plant is switching from cooling to heating or vice versa.
Other energy conservation work across the campus included the replacement of heating systems with higher-efficiency equipment, lighting upgrades to LED and window replacements. Overall the energy-focused work cost $2.7 million and is projected to save utility costs of $225,000 per year.
Photo credit: Patricia Drury’s Flickr photostream
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room