Energy Efficiency at Schools: Massachusetts Colleges, Wesleyan University
Massachusetts colleges and universities will have access to a $2 million fund from Mass College Green to complete energy saving projects, according to the Boston Business Journal.
Mass College Green was created by GreenerU, which works with educational institutions to help them increase energy efficiency.
GreenerU expects to fund about six projects at state colleges, each in the range of $200,000 to $350,000. The chosen colleges will not have to pay any upfront costs, but will pay back the investments through the energy savings they realize over five years.
Wesleyan University in Middletown, Ct., replaced the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) in its Center For the Arts Rehearsal Hall this summer. The energy efficiency project consolidated mechanical rooms and included the installation of a heat pump and an exterior dry cooler, according to the Wesleyan Argus. The new HVAC will provide cooling, heating, and dehumidification during the shoulder seasons when the power plant is switching from cooling to heating or vice versa.
Other energy conservation work across the campus included the replacement of heating systems with higher-efficiency equipment, lighting upgrades to LED and window replacements. Overall the energy-focused work cost $2.7 million and is projected to save utility costs of $225,000 per year.
Photo credit: Patricia Drury’s Flickr photostream
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement