Energy Efficiency at Schools: Massachusetts Colleges, Wesleyan University
Massachusetts colleges and universities will have access to a $2 million fund from Mass College Green to complete energy saving projects, according to the Boston Business Journal.
Mass College Green was created by GreenerU, which works with educational institutions to help them increase energy efficiency.
GreenerU expects to fund about six projects at state colleges, each in the range of $200,000 to $350,000. The chosen colleges will not have to pay any upfront costs, but will pay back the investments through the energy savings they realize over five years.
Wesleyan University in Middletown, Ct., replaced the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) in its Center For the Arts Rehearsal Hall this summer. The energy efficiency project consolidated mechanical rooms and included the installation of a heat pump and an exterior dry cooler, according to the Wesleyan Argus. The new HVAC will provide cooling, heating, and dehumidification during the shoulder seasons when the power plant is switching from cooling to heating or vice versa.
Other energy conservation work across the campus included the replacement of heating systems with higher-efficiency equipment, lighting upgrades to LED and window replacements. Overall the energy-focused work cost $2.7 million and is projected to save utility costs of $225,000 per year.
Photo credit: Patricia Drury’s Flickr photostream
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- Beyond Equipment Management by Spreadsheets
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems