Energy Efficiency Axed in Indiana
Indiana’s governor chose not to sign or veto a bill eliminating the state’s energy efficiency mandates, effectively allowing the legislation to become law without his signature.
Gov. Mike Pence said he’ll look to lawmakers next year, when the Energizing Indiana program ends, for help developing “a new energy-efficiency program for our state that will encourage conservation and promote a strong Indiana economy,” according to the Indianapolis Business Journal.
Pence also will seek proposals for a new energy efficiency program that allow large electricity consumers to opt out, reports the business journal.
Pence’s official comments straddle the line between favoring energy efficiency and considering it too expensive for ratepayers.
Numerous environmental groups and corporations involved in energy efficiency opposed shutting down the Energizing Indiana program. Ingersoll Rand and Honeywell issued a joint statement saying: “Energizing Indiana cuts waste and is a fiscally responsible way to address the state’s energy needs. Evaluation of the 2012 program showed a 2:1 savings versus cost ratio, and the preliminary results for 2013 suggest an equal or stronger performance. Energy efficiency helps drive a positive business environment and supports good, skilled jobs, like those at our companies.”
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement