Energy Efficiency Axed in Indiana
Indiana’s governor chose not to sign or veto a bill eliminating the state’s energy efficiency mandates, effectively allowing the legislation to become law without his signature.
Gov. Mike Pence said he’ll look to lawmakers next year, when the Energizing Indiana program ends, for help developing “a new energy-efficiency program for our state that will encourage conservation and promote a strong Indiana economy,” according to the Indianapolis Business Journal.
Pence also will seek proposals for a new energy efficiency program that allow large electricity consumers to opt out, reports the business journal.
Pence’s official comments straddle the line between favoring energy efficiency and considering it too expensive for ratepayers.
Numerous environmental groups and corporations involved in energy efficiency opposed shutting down the Energizing Indiana program. Ingersoll Rand and Honeywell issued a joint statement saying: “Energizing Indiana cuts waste and is a fiscally responsible way to address the state’s energy needs. Evaluation of the 2012 program showed a 2:1 savings versus cost ratio, and the preliminary results for 2013 suggest an equal or stronger performance. Energy efficiency helps drive a positive business environment and supports good, skilled jobs, like those at our companies.”
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement