Energy Efficiency Driving Innovation
Emphasis on energy efficient products over the next decade is expected to drive an expanding use of digital power management in applications such as DC-DC converters, says Reinhold Theurer, vice president EMEA in Electronics Weekly.
Power electronic devices in controlling electrical systems is increasing as governments introduce new standards and consumers demand lower power consumption and greater energy efficiency with ever rising energy costs. Manufacturers are replacing electro-mechanically actuated systems using AC-induction or brushed-DC motors with permanent magnet variable-speed drives.
Electric motor drives account for around 45 percent of global electricity consumption, encouraging new efficiency-focused legislation driving the adoption of variable-speed electronic control. Legislation on low-power lighting is expected to save millions of tons of CO2 emissions through using power-electronics ballasts or drivers. Another area of interest is digital power management as it enters a rapid adoption phase after being a niche technology for several years.
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement