Energy Efficiency Driving Innovation
Emphasis on energy efficient products over the next decade is expected to drive an expanding use of digital power management in applications such as DC-DC converters, says Reinhold Theurer, vice president EMEA in Electronics Weekly.
Power electronic devices in controlling electrical systems is increasing as governments introduce new standards and consumers demand lower power consumption and greater energy efficiency with ever rising energy costs. Manufacturers are replacing electro-mechanically actuated systems using AC-induction or brushed-DC motors with permanent magnet variable-speed drives.
Electric motor drives account for around 45 percent of global electricity consumption, encouraging new efficiency-focused legislation driving the adoption of variable-speed electronic control. Legislation on low-power lighting is expected to save millions of tons of CO2 emissions through using power-electronics ballasts or drivers. Another area of interest is digital power management as it enters a rapid adoption phase after being a niche technology for several years.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management