Energy Efficiency Planning Can Result in Big Paybacks for Data Centers
With careful planning and utilization of utility incentives, it is not uncommon for a single energy efficiency project at a small- to mid-sized data center to achieve 1 million KWh of energy savings, according to a new white paper released by Future Resource Engineering.
The white paper, Creating a Data Center Efficiency Plan: Challenges and Steps to Creating an Effective and Impactful Energy Efficiency Plan provides data center owners and operators with a blueprint that outlines required steps, offers solutions to common data center energy challenges, analyzes what information is relevant when determining savings and identifies the factors to consider when determining a project’s return on investment.
The focus of every data center manager is uptime and reliability, although significant time is spent on capacity planning, responding to customer requests and resolving equipment issues. This often leaves little time for efficiency improvements that can yield significant cost savings. At the same time, the growing power consumption of data centers has sparked numerous efforts to save energy throughout the industry. While every facility is different, an effective data center efficiency plan should address the following areas:
- Potential efficiency opportunities
- Available incentives
- Equipment strategies
- Payback requirements
The white paper examines how to create a data center energy efficiency plan by condensing the process into five steps, allowing data center operators to realize immediate savings to operational costs with little to no downtime.
Data centers are one of the largest and fastest growing consumers of electricity in the United States, consuming an estimated 90 billion KWh in 2013. This figure is forecasted to reach 140 billion KWh by 2020, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council.
Photo via Shutterstock
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection