Energy Efficiency Program Saves Manufacturers More than $500K
More than 250 manufacturing stakeholders came together June 3 at the Regional Manufacturing Institute of Maryland (RMI) NextGen-M Energy Forum in Timonium, Md., to learn about its new energy-efficiency program, which was launched last fall. Participants heard directly from the first 12 companies that are participating.
Before Maritime Applied Physics Corporation (MAPC) engaged RMI, for example, it was spending $140,000 annually on energy. Over the course of six months, MAPC has committed to energy upgrades that will cut that spending by a third.
Participants involved in RMI’s energy-efficiency program must agree to commit to a six-month program that provides $30,000 worth of services. RMI engineering experts audit each participant’s facility and present findings and recommendations to management. RMI management consultants then help to establish green teams to help firms become more energy efficient and hold executive leadership meetings to share best practices on lessons learned from each company in the program.
Establishing green teams has been very successful in helping companies’ bottom lines, RMI said.
For example, while Green Bay Packaging, which was involved in RMI’s 2012 pilot energy effort, only decreased its KW usage by one percent, it increased its production by 20 percent through new business growth.
The 12 featured firms are on a path to collectively implement annual electrical savings of 5,360 MWh, an annual summer demand savings of 1.2 MW and annual cost savings of $597,000.
RMI is currently recruiting its fourth group of six companies.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management