Energy Efficiency Programs Saves New Jersey School District $1M a Year
Honeywell is leading an energy savings improvement program for New Jersey-based Hillsborough Township Public Schools to help boost energy efficiency in the district’s facilities. When complete, the upgrades are expected to cut the district’s energy use by almost 50 percent and reduce the school district’s annual operating costs by about $1 million.
The school district will fund the program with a $1.7-million rebate available through “Pay for Performance,” a component of New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program that provides incentives for implementing whole-building energy improvements, along with a $15-million energy savings performance contract (ESPC) with Honeywell. The performance contract enables Hillsborough Township school district to address certain building infrastructure needs using the annual energy cost savings that result from the improvements. The savings are guaranteed by Honeywell, which allows the school district to tackle the work without additional capital funds or taxpayer dollars.
As part of the program, Honeywell will implement a combined heat and power (CHP) system at Hillsborough High School and Hillsborough Middle School that will help heat the buildings more efficiently and effectively and supply some of the energy needed to operate the facilities. It will also provide some back-up power in the event of an outage.
Additionally, Honeywell will update existing lighting systems in the district’s buildings and parking lots with efficient, long-lasting LED technology, and replace old boilers with energy-saving units, among other improvements.
The conservation measures are helping fund the installation of air-conditioning equipment in the high school and middle school as well.
According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, schools spend approximately $75 per student on gas bills and $130 per student on electricity each year. If all the districts in New Jersey were able to trim the same amount of energy consumption as Hillsborough, the state could save about $140 million annually.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity