Healthcare Network Consolidates IT, Saves $176,500 Annually
An initiative to streamline processes and reduce energy use at the LAC+USC Healthcare Network in Los Angeles, Calif., will result in cost savings of $176,500 annually, according to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates as reported by a Government Technology article.
The EPA recently awarded the healthcare organization an Energy Star Certificate for its efforts to reduce energy and adopt green technology.
To reduce energy use, the healthcare network made the LAC+USC Medical Center its main IT hub, rather than its previous practice of having each of its four hospitals and 19-plus clinics procure their own PCs and run their own data centers.
To complete the IT transition, the LAC+USC Medical Center data center was expanded, and old computers were replaced with newer, energy-efficient models. Each new desktop computer saved almost 25 W over previous models, and new laptop computers saved 7 W each. Because many of its staff members tended to leave their computers and monitors on at night, the medical center also implemented sleep modes on all new computers, which automatically shut down PCs after five minutes of non-use.
The world’s 14 billion online electronic devices—such as laptops, PCs, modems, printers, game consoles and set-top boxes—waste around $80 billion each year because of inefficient technology, according to a report by the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement