Energy Efficiency Supporters Sue Louisiana PSC
Energy efficiency supporters in Louisiana have sued the Louisiana Public Service Commission over its handling of a decision to nix plans for a statewide energy efficiency program.
In February, the PSC voted 3-2 against pursing the program it had tentatively approved in late 2012. But in a lawsuit filed this week, three organizations – the Alliance for Affordable Energy, the Sierra Club and the Louisiana Environmental Action Network – said the utility regulatory agency broke the state’s open meetings law by refusing to allow public testimony before voting, according to the Associated Press.
At the time of the vote, PSC Chairman Eric Skrmetta, who voted to abandon the energy efficiency plan, said the commission would revisit the idea, hire a different consultant to advise it and hold technical hearings to eventually return with a new approach. However, he didn’t provide a timeline for any of this.
“By not allowing public comments, the Commission failed to uphold their most important duty – to serve the public’s interest,” said Jordan Macha with the Louisiana chapter of the Sierra Club in a statement.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit want a state district judge to overturn the PSC decision and reinstate the commission’s original December 2012 order implementing a Quick Start Energy Efficiency Process for Louisiana PSC jurisdictional investor-owned electric utilities and group-I gas utilities.
The PSC does not have authority over Entergy New Orleans, which is separately governed by the city council. Entergy New Orleans does have an energy efficiency program.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management