Energy Fixes Help Brooklyn Co-op Save More than $200K
Manhattan-based sustainability consulting firm Steven Winter Associates helped Concord Village, a seven building, 1,025-unit cooperative in downtown Brooklyn identify and implement energy-savings measures that resulted in more than $200,000 in savings in the first year, Habitat Magazine reports.
Steven Winter started by conducting an energy audit to see how much energy the co-op was using and determine where it could save money. Once the co-op board approved the audit, Steven Winters sent the proposal to the state and began planning the upgrades.
WegoWise benchmarked, monitored and compared the co-op’s energy use with other properties in order to make an accurate projection about how much energy the planned upgrade would save.
Taking these steps—along with the conditions that the co-op implement its energy fixes and achieve a 7.5 percent reduction in energy use within a year—enabled Concord Village to receive a $300,000 state grant to go toward its $1.2 million in energy fixes.
The co-op replaced indoor and outdoor lights with LEDs that are run on a timer rather than being on all day. Stairwell doorways were sealed to mitigate heat loss, and thermostatic radiator valves were installed so that individual residents can control heat in their units.
As stages of the work were completed, the co-op received rebates from the state.
The energy efficiency updates resulted in energy savings of $230,000 in the first year, $80,000 more than projected.
The co-op also secured state funding to install submeters in each apartment. After the state incentive, the cost of new meters in three buildings—the other four had already been switched—totaled $120,000.
Project Management Group, a subsidiary of Akam Living Services, served as project manager for the renovations.
Photo of Brooklyn Bridge via Shutterstock.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- There’s Money in the Trash