Energy Retrofit Saves College 50% on Natural Gas
Honeywell launched a campus-wide energy retrofit project for Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, that is expected to decrease the college’s electricity use by 25 percent and natural gas use by almost 50 percent and deliver about $220,000 in guaranteed energy and operational savings each year.
Coe College will fund the $3.45-million project with a loan issued by the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) under its Energy Bank funding program, a resource available to public and non-profit entities to finance energy-efficiency improvements and renewable-energy projects. The low-interest-rate loan will help the college pay for the work without tapping into its capital budget. The savings the improvements generate, guaranteed by Honeywell through a 15-year energy savings performance contract (ESPC), should cover the project expenses.
Honeywell will implement a number of building management improvements in 16 facilities, including redesigning air-distribution systems and adding HVAC controls. Additional upgrades include: high-efficiency lighting and occupancy sensors; weatherization improvements to reduce the loss of conditioned air; and new plumbing fixtures to cut water waste.
Construction will begin in late May and is expected to last 12 months. Honeywell will work with local contractors to complete most of the upgrades.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement