Energy Storage Facility Online in the U.K.
The United Kingdom’s largest battery array is now online, according to Business Green.
AES UK & Ireland said that its Kilroot Advancion Energy Storage Array in Northern Ireland is now available for Harmonised Ancillary Services provision, the story said. The capacity of the facility is 10 MW. The plan is to eventually offer 100 MW of storage at the plant, which is adjacent to the Kilroot Power Station. Savings could reach £8.5m and reduce carbon emissions by 123,000 tons annually, the story said.
The 10MW array will officially open next month. It will be used by the government-backed Innovative UK Energy Catalyst to study the effectiveness of grid scale energy storage systems, the story said.
The U.S. added more than 100 MW of energy storage capacity during the first nine months of 2015, according to GTM Research. More than 60 MW of the new capacity was added during the third quarter, according to a report on the findings at pv-magazine.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds