Energy Storage Projects Integrate Renewable Energy, Improve Power Grid
Three Washington state utilities have been awarded $14.3 million in matching grants from the state’s new Clean Energy Fund to lead energy storage projects with ties to federally funded research at the US Department of Energy (DOE) Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Avista Utilities of Spokane, Wash., was awarded $3.2 million to install a UniEnergy Technolgies (UET) all-vanadium detox flow battery in Pullman, Wash., to support Washington State University’s smart campus operations. PNNL will collaborate with WSU to develop a control strategy for this project. Avista is participating in the Pacific Northwest Smart Grid Demonstration Project and previously received a DOE Smart Grid Investment Grant.
- Puget Sound Energy (PSE) of Bellevue, Wash., was awarded $3.8 million to install a lithium-ion battery. As part of a previous project that was jointly funded by the Bonneville Power Administration, Primus Power, Puget Sound Energy and DOE, PNNL analyzed the costs and benefits associated with installing energy storage at various sites within PSE’s service territory.
- Snohomish County Public Utility District No. 1 of Everett, Wash., was awarded $7.3 million to install a UET flow battery and a lithium-ion battery. This project builds on experience gained and equipment and technologies installed with a DOE Smart Grid Investment Grant.
According to a PNNL press release, the technology used in the UET all-vanadium redox flow batteries (pictured above) was developed by PNNL with six years of funding from DOE’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability.
Results from these Washington state-based demonstrations are expected to contribute to national energy storage efforts.
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation