Energy Storage Projects Integrate Renewable Energy, Improve Power Grid
Three Washington state utilities have been awarded $14.3 million in matching grants from the state’s new Clean Energy Fund to lead energy storage projects with ties to federally funded research at the US Department of Energy (DOE) Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- Avista Utilities of Spokane, Wash., was awarded $3.2 million to install a UniEnergy Technolgies (UET) all-vanadium detox flow battery in Pullman, Wash., to support Washington State University’s smart campus operations. PNNL will collaborate with WSU to develop a control strategy for this project. Avista is participating in the Pacific Northwest Smart Grid Demonstration Project and previously received a DOE Smart Grid Investment Grant.
- Puget Sound Energy (PSE) of Bellevue, Wash., was awarded $3.8 million to install a lithium-ion battery. As part of a previous project that was jointly funded by the Bonneville Power Administration, Primus Power, Puget Sound Energy and DOE, PNNL analyzed the costs and benefits associated with installing energy storage at various sites within PSE’s service territory.
- Snohomish County Public Utility District No. 1 of Everett, Wash., was awarded $7.3 million to install a UET flow battery and a lithium-ion battery. This project builds on experience gained and equipment and technologies installed with a DOE Smart Grid Investment Grant.
According to a PNNL press release, the technology used in the UET all-vanadium redox flow batteries (pictured above) was developed by PNNL with six years of funding from DOE’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability.
Results from these Washington state-based demonstrations are expected to contribute to national energy storage efforts.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BuildingIQ Security
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement