Energy Department Unveils Fuel Cell Analysis Data Center
The Energy Department has unveiled a national secure data center dedicated to the independent analysis of advanced hydrogen and fuel cell technologies at the its Energy Systems Integration Facility located at NREL in Golden, Colo.
The National Fuel Cell Technology Evaluation Center allows industry, academia, and government organizations to submit and review data gathered from projects to advance cost-effective fuel cell technology. the Energy Department is hoping that that NFCTEC will also help accelerate the commercialization of fuel cell technologies by strengthening data collection from fuel cell systems and components operating under real-world conditions.
The NFCTEC is housed within an ESIF area specifically designed for the secure management, storage, and processing of proprietary data from industry and other stakeholders. Aggregated analysis results that show the status and progress of the technology, but do not identify individual companies, are available to the public.
ESIF already hosts one of the world’s most energy efficient data centers the Skynet high performance computing center. NFCTEC will use a secure work area for data analysis in addition to servers co-located with the Skynet system at ESIF. The waste heat generated by the servers will be used as the primary heat source for nearby offices and labs, with excess heat exported to other areas of the NREL campus.
The Energy Department has also launched app aim at improving access to best practices and procedures for safely handling and using hydrogen to power fuel cells.
Developed by the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory with support from the Energy Department, the app, Hydrogen Tools, incorporates a variety of resources and web-based content focusing on the safe use and handling of hydrogen for those involved in designing, approving, or using hydrogen fuel cell systems and facilities. Primarily geared towards hydrogen installation developers and permitting officials, the app includes information on the safe ventilation of hydrogen, safe distances and pressures for storing hydrogen, and best practices and lessons learned on handling hydrogen.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management