Heat Wave Provides Good Timing to Tout Battery Storage Pilot
As the Northeast and Midwest sizzle in the heat, Eos Energy Storage is drawing attention to its battery storage technology that could help alleviate outages during such times.
Eos Energy Storage is partnering with Con Edison of New York, National Grid, Public Service Company of New Mexico and the large European utilities Enel and GDF SUEZ to pilot Eos’s innovative battery technology as part of its Genesis Program.
Collectively, these Genesis partners represent over 300 GW of generation, 1.6 million miles of transmission and distribution, and 76 million customers in over 70 countries, creating a platform for possible wide-spread implementation of the technology.
Eos says its zinc hybrid cathode (Znyth) battery technology offers highly reproducible applications on the electricity grid, and its 1MW/6MWh Aurora energy storage system will enable more reliable renewable energy and increase the grid’s resiliency.
Eos is focused on producing a reliable 25-year battery that can integrate into the utility grid at a price equivalent to a combustion gas turbine. Eos’ inaugural demonstration will be deployed with Con Edison of New York in early 2014. Eos’s battery technology can be deployed in load centers to shave peak load and alleviate strain on the distribution system.
In accordance with a joint development agreement, Eos is also cooperating with BASF New Business GmbH to enhance Eos’s battery technology and to support its Genesis program.
Other utilities and organizations are also testing energy storage technologies, reports the New York Times. Con Edison and the City University of New York are using a different zinc-based battery from Urban Electric Power to shave peak energy. Pacific Gas and Electric in California is studying sodium-sulfur batteries. And the Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies is working with lithium ion-based batteries from Xtreme Power that are linked to a wind farm in Texas.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles