EPA Creates Energy Star Spec for Data Center Storage Equipment
The Version 1.0 Energy Star Specification for Data Center Storage has been finalized by the Environmental Protection Agency and will take effect December 2.
The spec aims to differentiate energy efficient data center storage equipment to help data center operators select products that will save them money on their energy bills, assist manufacturers of efficient equipment in increasing sales, and drive down the energy use of datacenters, estimated to be more than 2 percent of total US electricity consumption.
The Energy Star Data Center Storage specification adds to the suite of datacenter equipment specifications, which currently includes Computer Server and Uninterruptible Power Supply specifications.
The storage specification:
- Introduces an approach to product families that allows both homogenous and heterogeneous storage device configurations to be certified.
- Includes requirements focused on power supplies, capacity optimizing methods, and standard performance data measurement and output.
- Allows for variations within product families to incorporate newer storage devices and other system improvements over the life of the storage product, striking a balance between additional testing burden and representative test data.
The Version 1.0 Specification requires all products to test and submit data using the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) Emerald Power Efficiency Measurement Specification V2.0.2.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement