EPA Creates Energy Star Spec for Data Center Storage Equipment
The Version 1.0 Energy Star Specification for Data Center Storage has been finalized by the Environmental Protection Agency and will take effect December 2.
The spec aims to differentiate energy efficient data center storage equipment to help data center operators select products that will save them money on their energy bills, assist manufacturers of efficient equipment in increasing sales, and drive down the energy use of datacenters, estimated to be more than 2 percent of total US electricity consumption.
The Energy Star Data Center Storage specification adds to the suite of datacenter equipment specifications, which currently includes Computer Server and Uninterruptible Power Supply specifications.
The storage specification:
- Introduces an approach to product families that allows both homogenous and heterogeneous storage device configurations to be certified.
- Includes requirements focused on power supplies, capacity optimizing methods, and standard performance data measurement and output.
- Allows for variations within product families to incorporate newer storage devices and other system improvements over the life of the storage product, striking a balance between additional testing burden and representative test data.
The Version 1.0 Specification requires all products to test and submit data using the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) Emerald Power Efficiency Measurement Specification V2.0.2.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing