EPA Releases Energy Treasure Hunt Guide
Energy Treasure Hunts: Simple Steps to Finding Energy Savings explains how companies can use improvements in behavioral, operational, and maintenance actions to find energy efficiency low hanging fruit.
By using internal resources already among a business’ assets, an organization is able to use the Energy Treasure Hunt process to build energy teams and internal processes for managing energy with a focus on continuous improvement, the EPA says.
Prior to the release of this guide book, the energy treasure hunt process was tested with a variety of companies, including small companies and facilities without formal energy programs. All companies reported finding numerous no and low cost savings opportunities with payback periods under 6 months and quick implementation rates.
Many of these companies were able to quickly achieve 4-to-10 percent reductions in intensity and substantial savings in energy costs. Companies also reported that the process of organizing and executing an energy treasure hunt in combination with the Energy Star Guidelines for Energy Management has created better site energy teams, introduced better management practices, and secured upper management support for the energy program to continue to identify ways to improve performance.
At its Coppell Fulfillment Center near Dallas, Texas, Staples deployed an “Eco-Treasure Hunt” program to identify cost-effective ways to save energy in the 245,000-sq-foot warehouse, it was reported in March. Staples then implemented a number of efficiency measures, including installing LEDs in loading docks and installing highly efficient fans.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- BuildingIQ Security
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement