EPA Releases Energy Treasure Hunt Guide
Energy Treasure Hunts: Simple Steps to Finding Energy Savings explains how companies can use improvements in behavioral, operational, and maintenance actions to find energy efficiency low hanging fruit.
By using internal resources already among a business’ assets, an organization is able to use the Energy Treasure Hunt process to build energy teams and internal processes for managing energy with a focus on continuous improvement, the EPA says.
Prior to the release of this guide book, the energy treasure hunt process was tested with a variety of companies, including small companies and facilities without formal energy programs. All companies reported finding numerous no and low cost savings opportunities with payback periods under 6 months and quick implementation rates.
Many of these companies were able to quickly achieve 4-to-10 percent reductions in intensity and substantial savings in energy costs. Companies also reported that the process of organizing and executing an energy treasure hunt in combination with the Energy Star Guidelines for Energy Management has created better site energy teams, introduced better management practices, and secured upper management support for the energy program to continue to identify ways to improve performance.
At its Coppell Fulfillment Center near Dallas, Texas, Staples deployed an “Eco-Treasure Hunt” program to identify cost-effective ways to save energy in the 245,000-sq-foot warehouse, it was reported in March. Staples then implemented a number of efficiency measures, including installing LEDs in loading docks and installing highly efficient fans.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control