Europe Is Smart Meter Market to Watch, Navigant Says
The smart electric meter market has shifted emphasis to projects in Europe and Asia Pacific while the once hot US market has leveled off, as federal funding for projects has been nearly exhausted, according to a new report from Navigant Research titled, Smart Meters: Smart Electric Meters, Advanced Metering Infrastructure, and Meter Communications: Global Market Analysis and Forecasts.
Europe is the market to watch, Navigant says, with large deployments ongoing in Spain and new smart meter volumes starting to significantly ramp next year in France and Great Britain. Projects under way or about to begin in these three counties will account for some 93 million new meters by the end of 2020. The key driver in Europe is the goal of meeting the European Union’s (EU’s) target of 80 percent penetration by 2020.
In Asia Pacific, utilities in China continue to install large numbers of smart meters as part of a five-year nationwide plan to upgrade grid infrastructure. Major deployments are planned in Japan that are expected to eventually account for about 80 million smart meters, with Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) taking the lead there. In India, several pilot projects will set the stage for large smart meter deployments later this decade that are expected to total more than 150 million new devices.
Overall, deployments of smart meters over the 2013–2023 forecast period will result in penetration rates near 80 percent in North America, 60 percent in Europe and 45 percent in Asia Pacific.
Latin America and the Middle East and Africa will see rising smart meter penetration rates through the forecast period but at much lower levels than other regions.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- There’s Money in the Trash
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management