Are Europe’s Green Energy Rules Driving Businesses Away?
European Union (EU) laws targeted at energy security and pollution reduction may have cost the UK as much as $155.6 billion, according to Bloomberg.com. As a result of the laws, Business for Britain said in a recent report, companies are seeking out nations with lower energy prices. Business for Britain has launched a national drive to renegotiate the terms of Britain’s membership in the EU.
European energy prices are among the highest in the developed world, the Bloomberg article said. Some European industrial consumers pay about 20 percent more for electricity than companies in China, about 65 percent more than India and twice as much as in the United States and Russia, Business for Britain reports.
The European Commission recently proposed an energy and climate strategy for EU nations under which the nations would adopt goals to increase energy savings by 30 percent by 2030, reduce greenhouse gases by 40 percent and increase the amount of renewable energy consumption to 27 percent.
The UK aims to get 20 percent of its energy from renewables by 2020.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management