EV Charging Stations with Energy Storage Save City $7,000 per Year in Demand Charges
In 2014, Redwood City, California, installed five electric vehicle charging station locations from ChargePoint combined with energy storage from Green Charge Networks. The installations include two DC Fast Charging stations installed at Redwood Shores library and at the City’s downtown parking garage.
The partners say the EV charging stations are heavily used with an average of 8-10 sessions per day. Green Charge Networks’ intelligent energy storage is shaving multiple peaks per day (80 in May, 2015) caused by the EV charging stations, and the energy storage is expected to save nearly $7,000 annually in demand charges at the five Redwood City locations.
The Redwood City energy storage equipment and installation came at no cost to the City. Green Charge’s financing model provides a zero down cost solution. Green Charge Networks installs, owns and maintains all of the energy storage equipment. Drivers can find charging stations and see their availability in real-time at ChargePoint.com or with the free ChargePoint mobile app. The cost to use a charging station is set by the business owner.
There have been a couple of announcements related to EV charging in California of late. The State of California awarded Envision Solar International a one-year contract to supply EV ARC products to state and local governmental agencies or entities. The EV ARC fits inside a parking space and generates enough solar electricity to power 150 miles of EV driving each day.
And FreeWire Technologies and Siemens are partnering to pilot and commercialize the Mobi Charger, a mobile electric vehicle charging technology. The companies are operating a three-month pilot at LinkedIn’s Mountain View, California, campus, providing access to hundreds of employees who drive electric vehicles.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Combined Heat and Power
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds