Facebook Finds Cold Data Storage
The storage system that packs 1 petabyte of data into a single cabinet filled with 10,000 Blu-Ray optical discs, according to Data Center Knowledge. The company showed off its prototype at the recent Open Compute Summit.
The storage unit may be put into production by the end of this year. Long term, Facebook believes Blu-Ray has the potential to move beyond its origins in consumer video and became a durable, cost-effective data storage medium.
Data cannot be retrieved instantly from Blu-Ray, but its low cost offers an advantage. Blu-Ray disks offers savings of up to 50 percent compared with the hard disks Facebook is using in its cold storage data facility at its data center in Oregon. The Facebook prototype also uses 80 percent less energy than cold storage racks, since the Blu-Ray cabinet only uses energy when it is writing data during the initial date “burn,” and doesn’t use energy when it is idle.
Facebook expects this method will catch on within five years as the technology will find its way into uses that were formerly limited to magnetic disks. Blu-Ray is an optical data storage format created as a high-volume successor to DVDs. Facebook stumbled into its Blu-Ray experiment as part of a broader evaluation of storage options. The use of Blu-Ray is not an alternative storage means, but complements the colder storage tiers by making them more financially viable.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing