Farmers Use Mobile Compost Heat Recovery System
Agrilab Technologies launched a containerized compost heat recovery system for farmers to create compost while capturing combustion-free heat.
The new mobile version of AGT’s compost heat recovery system can produce up to 200,000 Btu/hr, continuously, depending on the amount of compost in production. This energy is worth up to $50,000 per year at current fossil fuel costs, according to Agrilab.
The technology works by pulling air down and through the compost, actively aerating the material and eliminating the need for tumbling or turning to keep the compost process going. The hot vapor that is pulled out of the compost is run through a patented Isobar heat exchanger (pictured), generating hot water for space heating and washing.
The Containerized Isobar Unit comes with a bank financed lease-to-own option for minimal up-front investment required from customers.
AGT has expanded its staff and hired two leaders from Vermont-based CompostPower.org, an open source research network that has pioneered various methods of compost heat recovery since 2009.
AGT installed its first compost heat recovery system in Vermont in 2005 at Diamond Hill Custom Heifers in Sheldon, with more recent systems at Jasper Hill Creamery and at the University of New Hampshire.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement