FEV Joins Energy Star Challenge
Powertrain and vehicle technologies developer FEV has taken the EPA’s Energy Star Challenge in a step toward improving energy efficiency, the company says.
Commercial buildings and industrial facilities are responsible for 45 percent of US greenhouse gas emissions, according to EPA.
The Energy Star Challenge calls for an energy efficiency improvement of at least 10 percent for the more than 5 million commercial and industrial buildings in the US.
EPA estimates that if the energy efficiency of commercial and industrial buildings in the US improved 10 percent, companies would save about $20 billion on annual utility bills.
Over the past 20 years, US businesses and families have saved a total of almost $230 billion on utility bills and prevented more than 1.7 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions through the voluntary program, EPA says.
Some 35,000 buildings that used the Energy Star Portfolio Manager tool to track and manage energy use between 2008 and 2011 realized an average annual savings of 2.4 percent with a total savings of 7 percent, according to EPA. In its analysis, EPA translates energy savings into financial value, and says a 2.4 percent savings for three consecutive years means a cumulative energy cost savings of $120,000 for a 500,000-square-foot office building, $2.5 million for a medium-box retailer with 500 stores, $4.1 million for a full-service hotel chain with 100 properties or $140,000 for an 800,000-square-foot school district.
Last month, FEV partnered with charging infrastructure supplier Better Place and Coda Automotive, Environmental Leader reports. The three companies are working together to convert six Coda electric cars with fixed batteries into switchable-battery cars.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software