FirstEnergy Solutions Offers Limited Switch2Green4Free Program
The first 1,000 FirstEnergy Solutions customers in Ohio and Pennsylvania to enroll in a special offer from the competitive electric retail supplier will receive 100 percent wind energy at the same price as the company’s standard energy offer. The limited deal is available from April 15 through May 31.
The Switch2Green4Free offer is part of FirstEnergy’s branding campaign – called “The Switch Is On” – which highlights the company’s environmental achievements and demonstrates its commitment to a cleaner energy future.
The energy in the Switch2Green4Free offer is Green-e Energy Certified. Green-e describes itself as the leading independent U.S. certification and verification program for renewable energy and greenhouse gas emission reductions in the retail market.
In response to the announcement, Trish Demeter, managing director of Energy & Clean Air Programs at the Ohio Environmental Council, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the utility’s program “raises eyebrows” because it’s clear to her that FirstEnergy plans to hold onto its traditional ways of generating power with coal and fossil fuels.
“We’re not really seeing any clear path forward for FirstEnergy as far as making any real and substantial transition to a cleaner portfolio,” Demeter said. “I would imagine in theory the 100 percent wind power package they are rolling out sounds good, but I would question how much it actually equates to new wind energy projects being built in the region and the state of Ohio.”
Based in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy Solutions is the competitive subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric utilities, and the unregulated affiliate of Ohio Edison, Toledo Edison, The Illuminating Company, Penelec, Met-Ed, Penn Power, West Penn Power, Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L), Mon Power, and Potomac Edison.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- There’s Money in the Trash