Ford, DTE Energy to Build Michigan’s Largest Solar Array
Ford Motor Company’s world headquarters will soon be home to Michigan’s largest solar array. The project, funded by DTE Energy, will provide employees with 360 covered parking spaces and 30 charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles. An onsite kiosk will provide visitors with general information about solar power and details about the Ford carport.
The solar canopy will have capacity to generate 1.038 MW of electricity. It will be the second-largest solar carport in the Midwest, after a 1.1-MW facility at the Cincinnati Zoo in Ohio, and it will reduce the amount of electricity Ford pulls from the grid to run its offices.
DTE Energy will construct, operate and maintain the carport for 20 years. Construction is slated to begin in September and be completed in early 2015.
The solar installation is part of an initiative DTE Energy launched in 2009 called SolarCurrents. The program works to fulfill DTE Energy’s commitment to generate 10 percent of its energy from renewable sources by 2015.
This is the second collaboration between Ford and DTE Energy in recent years. In 2010, the companies teamed up to install a 500-kW solar photovoltaic panel system at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich. Energy generated by the system helps power vehicle production at the plant.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement