Fuel Cell Park to Provide 14.9 MW in Connecticut
Ground has been broken for the Dominion Bridgeport Fuel Cell Project in Bridgeport, Conn., a 14.9 MW fuel cell park, which will be the largest in the United States upon completion.
FuelCell Energy will build, operate and maintain the facility under contract to Dominion. FuelCell Energy is supplying five Direct FuelCell stationary fuel cell power plants that will use an electro-chemical process that converts natural gas into electricity. An organic rankine turbine will convert heat from the fuel cells into additional electricity.
The project is scheduled to be completed and placed into operation in late 2013. Dominion will sell the output of the fuel cell power station to Connecticut Light & Power under a 15-year fixed power purchase agreement.
Dominion Bridgeport Fuel Cell is part of Project 150, a program sponsored by the state and supported by the Clean Energy Finance and Investment Authority (CEFIA) to increase renewable energy projects in Connecticut by 150 megawatts.
CEFIA is a clean energy finance authority that leverages public and private funds to drive investment and scale up clean energy deployment in Connecticut. This project was supported by the City of Bridgeport, which provides a tax incentive development agreement that will be in place for the life of the project.
FuelCell Energy has expanded its Connecticut manufacturing workforce by more than 20 percent or more than 50 jobs in the past six months, reflecting demand such as this Bridgeport fuel cell park.
Dominion owns several renewable energy facilities in the United States, including wind farms in West Virginia and Indiana, a biomass power station in Virginia with three more under construction and hydroelectric power stations in Virginia and North Carolina. The company has also announced a 7.7-megawatt solar project in Georgia and the first company-owned rooftop solar installation in Virginia.
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management