Fuel Cell System to Power Air Quality Agency
UTC Power will install its System Model 400 fuel cell at the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) in Diamond Bar, Calif., to power the headquarters office.AQMD, the air pollution control agency for all of Orange County and the urban portions of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, is a repeat customer for UTC Power. In 1994, the AQMD installed a PureCell System Model 200, which ran for more than 50,000 hours.
This fuel cell system will provide about 22 percent of AQMD’s daily electrical needs and is part of its energy self-sufficiency effort. The installation will provide 400 kW of power. Additionally, thermal energy from the fuel cell will be harnessed to provide space heating and reheating for the air conditioning system.
The PureCell system is a long-term solution with a 10-year stack life and total expected energy efficiencies more than double those of traditional power sources.
UTC Power will provide energy from the fuel cell to AQMD under an Energy Supply and Services Agreement. The project is supported by funding from California’s Self-Generation Incentive program, and the unit is expected to be installed and operational in mid-2013.
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year