Fuel Cell System to Power Air Quality Agency
UTC Power will install its System Model 400 fuel cell at the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) in Diamond Bar, Calif., to power the headquarters office.AQMD, the air pollution control agency for all of Orange County and the urban portions of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, is a repeat customer for UTC Power. In 1994, the AQMD installed a PureCell System Model 200, which ran for more than 50,000 hours.
This fuel cell system will provide about 22 percent of AQMD’s daily electrical needs and is part of its energy self-sufficiency effort. The installation will provide 400 kW of power. Additionally, thermal energy from the fuel cell will be harnessed to provide space heating and reheating for the air conditioning system.
The PureCell system is a long-term solution with a 10-year stack life and total expected energy efficiencies more than double those of traditional power sources.
UTC Power will provide energy from the fuel cell to AQMD under an Energy Supply and Services Agreement. The project is supported by funding from California’s Self-Generation Incentive program, and the unit is expected to be installed and operational in mid-2013.
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation