Fuel Cell System to Power Air Quality Agency
UTC Power will install its System Model 400 fuel cell at the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) in Diamond Bar, Calif., to power the headquarters office.AQMD, the air pollution control agency for all of Orange County and the urban portions of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, is a repeat customer for UTC Power. In 1994, the AQMD installed a PureCell System Model 200, which ran for more than 50,000 hours.
This fuel cell system will provide about 22 percent of AQMD’s daily electrical needs and is part of its energy self-sufficiency effort. The installation will provide 400 kW of power. Additionally, thermal energy from the fuel cell will be harnessed to provide space heating and reheating for the air conditioning system.
The PureCell system is a long-term solution with a 10-year stack life and total expected energy efficiencies more than double those of traditional power sources.
UTC Power will provide energy from the fuel cell to AQMD under an Energy Supply and Services Agreement. The project is supported by funding from California’s Self-Generation Incentive program, and the unit is expected to be installed and operational in mid-2013.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room