Fuel Cell Update: DOE Awards $4.5 in Research to 3M, Colorado School of Mines; BASF Closes Somerset, NJ Facility
The Energy Department announced a $4.5 million investment in two projects – led by Minnesota-based 3M and the Colorado School of Mines – to lower the cost, improve the durability, and increase the efficiency of next-generation fuel cell systems. The projects will focus on research and development work aimed at making cost-effective, high-performing fuel cell membranes that can operate under hotter and drier conditions. For example, 3M will receive $3 million to develop fuel cell membranes with improved durability and performance using processes that are scalable to commercial size. The Colorado School of Mines will receive $1.5 million to develop advanced hybrid membranes for fuel cells that are simpler and more affordable and able to operate at higher temperatures.
BASF is restructuring its fuel cell systems activities and, as a result, BASF Fuel Cell business unit in Somerset, NJ, closed August 1. The site produced membrane electrode assemblies for high-temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell systems. The closing of the Somerset production site affects about 25 employees. In the future BASF will focus on activities in the field of catalysts and adsorbents for fuel cells. These activities are run out of BASF’s Catalysts division headquartered in Iselin, NJ.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room