Fully LED-Lit Store a First for Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada recently opened its first fully LED-lit store with 18-watt lights instead of fluorescents, which are expected to reduce overall energy consumption at the store by 28 percent. The LED lights throughout the supercenter in Stratford, Ontario, will also produce less heat and reduce the need for air conditioning.
The combined energy saving measures at the store will reduce energy consumption by about 189,000 kWh annually and save about $18,000 per year.
The chain said it had a successful LED-retrofit pilot that exceeded expectations at its Brampton North supercenter. This has prompted the retailer to retrofit an additional six supercenters in Ontario with LED-lighting. Stores in Oakville, Vaughan, Maple, Whitby, Bolton and an additional location in Brampton will be retrofitted with 18-watt LED lights over the next four months.
In Stratford, Walmart installed close to 3,000 18-watt LED lights in the 88,000 square foot store. In addition to the direct savings from using LED lamps, the retailer will also save money because LED lights last longer and do not need to be replaced as frequently as traditional fluorescent lights.
The installation was completed by Canadian EcoLight LED Systems. EcoLight LED’s enhanced partnership with a large Ontario-based lighting fixture manufacturer has allowed the company to provide Walmart with locally sourced materials, thus reducing greenhouse gases and carbon footprint via decreased transportation.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- LED Myths and Facts
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing