Furniture Wirelessly Charges Mobile Devices
IKEA has created a line of furniture that acts as charging stations for wireless devices, a move that likely will be followed by other furniture makers, including office-furniture manufacturers.
IKEA’s Qi-powered bedside tables, lamps and desks will eliminate cable mess and make it easier to keep mobile devices charged.
IKEA said the wireless charging home furnishings will be available in Europe and North America this April, followed by a global rollout. The announcement girds support for Qi – the global wireless charging standard from the Wireless Power Consortium.
The Qi wireless power standard is available in 3,000 hotels, restaurants, airports and public locations worldwide. There are now more than 80 Qi-enabled smartphones, 15 models of Qi-enabled cars and countless Qi mobile accessories in the market today.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Planning for a Sustainable Future