Gas Pipeline Explodes, Causes Price Spike
The explosion of a TransCanada natural gas pipeline in Manitoba, Canada, over the weekend left nearly 4,000 without heat in Canada and natural gas shortages in the northern US states of Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota.
Customers affected by the gas outage were told by several gas companies to turn their thermostats down and to make sure all appliances that use natural gas were turned off, reported PBS.
As of Monday, Viking Gas Transmission reported the gas flow at the Emerson interconnect with TransCanada Pipeline had been restored, however the gas flow and capacity levels had not yet returned to normal levels. Viking requested its customers begin a staged reinstatement of normal services immediately to allow a progressive normalization of the Viking system.
According to Platts, spot natural gas prices in the Upper Midwest hit all-time highs Monday, spiking as much as $51 /MMBtu as projected demand soared on cold weather and pipeline constraints. Forecasts called for temperatures to be well below seasonal norms, with both Chicago and Minneapolis experiencing below zero temperatures Monday and Tuesday.
Platts unit Bentek Energy projected Midwest demand to surpass 30 Bcf/d until Thursday, while Tuesday could reach nearly 33 Bcf/d.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- LED Myths and Facts
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing