GE and Toshiba Ally for Combined-Cycle Power Projects Worldwide
GE and Toshiba have worked together for 30 years in Asia; now the two companies have signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to form a global strategic alliance.
The companies aim to jointly develop select combined-cycle power generation projects around the world.
Toshiba and GE have cooperated in gas turbine combined-cycle power generation systems since 1982 and have existing agreements to pursue 50-Hz and 60-Hz projects together in Japan and in key regions in Asia. With the MOU, the companies will pursue FlexEfficiency projects around the world while also working together on the next generation of combined-cycle technology with higher levels of thermal efficiency.
GE’s FlexEfficiency technology for utilities harnesses natural gas and enables greater use of renewable energy. GE and Toshiba won a contract in 2012 to supply FlexEfficiency technology to Chubu Electric Power’s Nishi Nagoya Thermal Power Plant in Japan. This system is being jointly configured to achieve the thermal efficiency of 62 percent (at site conditions). With the MOU, the companies will combine their capabilities to pursue FlexEfficiency projects around the world while also working together on a next generation of highly fuel-efficient power plant technologies.
Combined-cycle power generation systems combine gas turbines and steam turbines to achieve high fuel efficiency as compared to conventional thermal power plants. Exhaust heat from the gas turbine is recovered and used to produce steam that drives the steam turbine and generates more electricity.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- The Sustainable Edge™
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity