GE, PowerStream Launch Ontario Microgrid Demonstration Project
General Electric and PowerStream have launched a joint microgrid demonstration project at PowerStream’s headquarters in Vaughan, Ontario.
For the project, GE provided its Grid IQ Microgrid Control System (MCS), as well as the engineering design services, to help PowerStream build a microgrid, which uses renewable energy resources (wind, solar), a natural-gas generator and energy storage devices (including GE’s Durathon Battery technology) to provide electricity for loads at its head office including lighting, air conditioning, refrigeration and electric vehicle charging.
Using the MCS, PowerStream can determine when it is most economical to use the resources powering its microgrid or when it needs to revert to using power from the provincial power grid.
In March, Canadian Solar opened the Canadian Solar Microgrid Testing Centre Guelph, Ontario, which will focus on micro-grid testing and design as well as smart grid assessment services.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management