GEM Energy Management Saves 45% on Hotel Room HVAC
Consulting group SaveMoneyCutCarbon says results of hotel trials in the UK prove the GEM energy management system from Lodging Technology can save up to 45 percent on hotel guest room heating and ventilation costs. GEM senses when a space is occupied and controls the ambient temperature when guests are not present. It differs from simpler motion-sensor products by using a combination of infrared body-heat sensors and an algorithm to detect if a room is occupied. The GEM system uses wireless technology, invisible to the guest, to optimize the room and the system takes advantage of the fact that, after check in, most guests are out of the room for up to 50 percent of the booked time.
When guests are out of their room for longer than a specified amount of time, the GEM system kicks in and resets the room temperature to a selected energy-saving level.
SaveMoneyCutCarbon has run 24/7 trials over recent months at a London hotel and a regional hotel in Cardiff to monitor and measure the energy savings delivered by GEM. The data shows that in a 24-hour occupancy, hotels can expect 35-45 percent HVAC energy savings, according to the company.
The GEM system from US-based Lodging Technology was chosen by SaveMoneyCutCarbon after lengthy research into energy saving HVAC solutions. Up to 250,000 hotel rooms in the US use the GEM technology.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement