GEM Energy Retrofits Two 100-Year-Old Toledo Buildings
The Toledo School for the Arts
Completed in 55 days, the Toledo School for the Arts’ energy upgrades included replacing 1950s HVAC equipment throughout the building with five new air handling units, a rooftop unit, two boilers and a chiller. A GEM Energy FlexSet building automation system controls HVAC equipment and displays real-time operating results.
In the new recording studio, where sound quality is paramount, a sound attenuator in the ductwork reduces noise from the air-handling unit. Special controls on the HVAC equipment allow the school to disable the supply/return air system to further protect sound quality in the recording studio.
The Toledo Club
GEM made the following efficiency upgrades at the Toledo Club:
- New HVAC units to replace 30-year-old units.
- A new 80-ton condensing unit on the roof.
- A FlexSet building automation system that cools and warms rooms on schedule and controls parking lot lighting.
- Dimmable soffit lighting in the Red Room and LED lighting in the antique bar.
- In the Belvedere event room, a new lighting system was installed that controls the LED fixtures and provides seven settings to match the mood of events.
Fifteen windows were replaced on the building’s west side by Centennial Preservation Group in Columbus.
The energy system improvements for the Toledo Club and the Toledo School for the Arts were financed through the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority’s BetterBuildings Northwest Ohio energy efficiency program.
The BetterBuildings program uses Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing, which covers 100 percent of the project’s costs and is repaid through a biannual building assessment.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book