Geothermal Heats Prison
The Kent County Correctional Facility in Grand Rapids, Mich., spent $1 million from the Energy Department‘s Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant program to install an energy-efficient geothermal heating and cooling system.
The county is saving an average of $100,000 a year from the system, resulting in a 10-year payback.
Kent County Correctional Facility installed the 96-well geothermal system to reduce its energy consumption.
Located below ground where temperatures remain constant at around 55 degrees Fahrenheit, the new closed-loop geothermal system extracts heat stored in the earth to heat and cool the building. The system uses temperature-controlled water that is pushed through pipes into the building to maintain the desired temperature.
The geothermal system operates 24 hours a day 365 days per year and has 2,400 MBH (thousands of Btu/hour) of cooling capacity and 2,270 MBH of heating capacity – roughly the amount needed to heat and cool 45 energy-efficient homes.
Kent County chose geothermal energy after it found success using the same technology at the 63rd District Courthouse – the only other county building that uses a renewable energy heating and cooling system.
The county continues to examine ways in which it can reduce energy consumption and cut or avoid costs at other facilities.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement