Germans Develop Comprehensive Data Center Energy Monitoring Tool
Energy efficiency in high-performance computing (HPC) data centers needs to be viewed from the thousand-foot perspective, according to scientists at the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Munich, Germany.
Typical energy management at HPC data centers does not permit data sharing between the HPC system, the hosting facility and infrastructure, according to an article in HPC Wire. The scientists say there are no tools that “support a complete collection and correlation of energy efficiency relevant data, allowing for a unified view of energy consumption present in the datacenter,” reports HPC Wire.
To address this concern, researchers at the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre are developing a new energy measuring and evaluation product – Power Data Aggregation Monitor (PowerDAM) – to monitor and correlate data from the HPC systems as well as cooling and building infrastructure. PowerDAM will monitor both physical sensors as well as “virtual sensors” and provide visualization for factors such as power draw, utilization rate, and average CPU temperatures. In addition, PowerDAM will report on datacenter key performance indicators such as PUE, ERE, DCiE and WUE, reports HPC Wire.
In the US, some leading-edge HPC data center work is being conducted at NREL in Golden, Colo., where the on-site HPC data center is using warm-water liquid cooling to reach an annualized average power usage effectiveness (PUE) rating of 1.06 or better. NREL’s data center also captures and re-uses the heat generated by the computers in the HPC system for the primary heat source of some office space and laboratories.
Photo: Data Center via Shutterstock
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management