Glacial Water Cools Data Center In Swiss Mountain
The Deltalis RadixCloud data center lies deep inside a mountain near the Swiss Gotthard massif. This location offers clients of Deltalis a highly secure Tier IV colocation facility. It’s also an energy-efficient data center, using the mountain’s cold glacier water for the cooling.
Formerly housing the Command and Control center for the Swiss Air Force, the rock chambers of the 15,000-sq-meter Deltalis RadixCloud data center provide a cool, constant year-round temperature inside the mountain.
The Deltalis data center consists of several multi-story buildings built into the granite rock, providing its customers with military-grade secured colocation space. Deltalis has vaulted ceilings in separated rooms and pillars around which colocation facilities had to be created.
Data center supplier Minkels implemented its modular products at Deltalis RadixCloud, such as Minkels Varicon M data center racks and Minkels Cold Corridor aisle containment meant for an energy-efficient separation of cold and warm airflows. The modular infrastructure connects seamlessly with the irregular contours inside the mountain’s cave-like environment.
This data center project has been shortlisted for the finals of Datacenter Dynamics EMEA 2012 Awards, held Dec. 13, in the category “Most Extreme Data Center Deployment.”
Minkels is a part of Legrand Group, which recently shared an energy management handbook and an energy project interactive spreadsheet that it developed as part of its effort to reduce energy intensity across its North American facilities.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control