Glacial Water Cools Data Center In Swiss Mountain
The Deltalis RadixCloud data center lies deep inside a mountain near the Swiss Gotthard massif. This location offers clients of Deltalis a highly secure Tier IV colocation facility. It’s also an energy-efficient data center, using the mountain’s cold glacier water for the cooling.
Formerly housing the Command and Control center for the Swiss Air Force, the rock chambers of the 15,000-sq-meter Deltalis RadixCloud data center provide a cool, constant year-round temperature inside the mountain.
The Deltalis data center consists of several multi-story buildings built into the granite rock, providing its customers with military-grade secured colocation space. Deltalis has vaulted ceilings in separated rooms and pillars around which colocation facilities had to be created.
Data center supplier Minkels implemented its modular products at Deltalis RadixCloud, such as Minkels Varicon M data center racks and Minkels Cold Corridor aisle containment meant for an energy-efficient separation of cold and warm airflows. The modular infrastructure connects seamlessly with the irregular contours inside the mountain’s cave-like environment.
This data center project has been shortlisted for the finals of Datacenter Dynamics EMEA 2012 Awards, held Dec. 13, in the category “Most Extreme Data Center Deployment.”
Minkels is a part of Legrand Group, which recently shared an energy management handbook and an energy project interactive spreadsheet that it developed as part of its effort to reduce energy intensity across its North American facilities.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems