Glacial Water Cools Data Center In Swiss Mountain
The Deltalis RadixCloud data center lies deep inside a mountain near the Swiss Gotthard massif. This location offers clients of Deltalis a highly secure Tier IV colocation facility. It’s also an energy-efficient data center, using the mountain’s cold glacier water for the cooling.
Formerly housing the Command and Control center for the Swiss Air Force, the rock chambers of the 15,000-sq-meter Deltalis RadixCloud data center provide a cool, constant year-round temperature inside the mountain.
The Deltalis data center consists of several multi-story buildings built into the granite rock, providing its customers with military-grade secured colocation space. Deltalis has vaulted ceilings in separated rooms and pillars around which colocation facilities had to be created.
Data center supplier Minkels implemented its modular products at Deltalis RadixCloud, such as Minkels Varicon M data center racks and Minkels Cold Corridor aisle containment meant for an energy-efficient separation of cold and warm airflows. The modular infrastructure connects seamlessly with the irregular contours inside the mountain’s cave-like environment.
This data center project has been shortlisted for the finals of Datacenter Dynamics EMEA 2012 Awards, held Dec. 13, in the category “Most Extreme Data Center Deployment.”
Minkels is a part of Legrand Group, which recently shared an energy management handbook and an energy project interactive spreadsheet that it developed as part of its effort to reduce energy intensity across its North American facilities.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement