Energy Business Course Attracts 33,000 Registrants
Students from around the world recently took part in the University of Colorado Denver Global Energy Management (GEM) program’s first open, online course. The course was offered free of charge through Coursera.
The Fundamentals of Global Energy Business course provided students with an introduction to the business of primary energy production. The class examined the nature of supply and demand in global energy markets and business considerations for participants in those markets. The survey-style class required research on current energy trends.
Nearly 33,000 people registered for the course, many of whom registered while the course was in progress, according to CU Denver. In all, about 2,400 students appear to have engaged with the course material regularly, which is typical for similar online courses.
A course survey shows that about one third of participants were currently enrolled students, over 80 percent had at least a bachelor’s degree, and nearly 60 percent were working full time.
Eighty five percent of course registrants were distributed between North America, Europe and Asia. The remaining 15 percent were from South America, Africa and Oceania. Registrants came from nearly 190 countries. The largest groups were from the United States (23 percent) and India (9 percent).
This is not the only energy management course offered through the GEM Program. It also offers a master of science degree in global energy management via “hybrid-online” curriculum delivery.
The Denver-metro area is becoming a hub for energy manager training. Aurora, Colo., based Ecotech Institute, a college focused on renewable energy training, also offers an associate degree in facility management technology.
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex