Google Lowers Data Center Energy Use through Machine Learning
Google recently released a white paper on how it is optimizing its data center operations through the use of machine learning. The practice is helping the company drive down its energy use.
According to a May 28 Google blog post, the machine-learning model is the brainchild of Jim Gao, an engineer on the company’s data center team. Although Google said its data centers use half the energy of typical data centers, Gao wanted to develop a model that would predict and improve data center performance.
The model works similarly to speech recognition software. It runs variables such as IT load and outside air temperature through a computer, and the computer analyzes the data to find patterns and “learn” from them. Google engineers then use this data to see how these variables interact with one another so they can develop new ways to make data centers operate more efficiently.
Google said the models are 99.6 percent accurate in predicting power usage effectiveness (PUE).
Image credit: A simplified version illustrating how the model works. Image via Google.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement