Google Lowers Data Center Energy Use through Machine Learning
Google recently released a white paper on how it is optimizing its data center operations through the use of machine learning. The practice is helping the company drive down its energy use.
According to a May 28 Google blog post, the machine-learning model is the brainchild of Jim Gao, an engineer on the company’s data center team. Although Google said its data centers use half the energy of typical data centers, Gao wanted to develop a model that would predict and improve data center performance.
The model works similarly to speech recognition software. It runs variables such as IT load and outside air temperature through a computer, and the computer analyzes the data to find patterns and “learn” from them. Google engineers then use this data to see how these variables interact with one another so they can develop new ways to make data centers operate more efficiently.
Google said the models are 99.6 percent accurate in predicting power usage effectiveness (PUE).
Image credit: A simplified version illustrating how the model works. Image via Google.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management