Greek Homes, Businesses Suffer Electricity Price Hikes
Greece’s Environment and Energy Ministry has announced more increases in electricity prices for residences and businesses.
Following on the heels of electric price increases of about 9 percent in 2012, households are getting hit with another 9 percent increase in electricity bills , while commercial customers will suffer increases of 10-15 percent. The just-announced rate hikes are retroactive from January 1.
The government is trying to cover the $360 million cost of transmission rights of state-controlled Public Power Corporation (PPC), according to Reuters. Also, under the terms of the European Union and International Monetary Fund bailout, the government had to raise its regulated power prices last year to reflect the true cost of energy generation. Now those creditors are insisting on more price hikes.
The increase in electricity prices also includes carbon emission charges, which are now passed on from electricity producers to consumers, and also includes a levy for renewable energy development.
Further rate hikes in Greece are expected on May 1 and on July 1.
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management