Green Deal Suffers Major Marketing Problem
The UK government just can’t get homes and businesses to take notice of its Green Deal program, which lets property owners pay for energy efficiency improvements via their electricity bills. In January, a survey from Rexel of more than 2,000 respondents, found that 96 percent of Brits had never heard of the Green Deal. Now, 11 months later, it appears not much has changed, according to The Guardian, which reports that only 57 Green Deal projects have been completed, a surprisingly low number.
According to a government report, 85,177 energy assessments were lodged up to the end of September, but only 954 Green Deal Plans had reached the quote accepted stage. Of these, 392 were new quotes for GD Plans, 505 had moved to pending (Plan signed) and 57 were live (measures installed).
A September opinion poll conducted by the UK government, itself, found that only 28 percent of citizens were thinking about implementing home energy savings despite the fact that 84 percent of people were worried about price increases of energy. Recently several major utilities in Great Britain announced price hikes. But even that hasn’t affected consumer inertia. The government poll found that only one in three people is considering switching energy suppliers – the same percentage as a similar poll conducted last year.
Friends of the Earth energy campaigner Sophie Neuburg told The Guardian: “The coalition’s flagship green deal has been a complete flop. With so much concern about rocketing fuel bills it’s staggering that the government isn’t doing more to help people slash energy waste, the most cost-effective way to cut household energy bills and tackle climate change.”
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls