Green Deal Suffers Major Marketing Problem
The UK government just can’t get homes and businesses to take notice of its Green Deal program, which lets property owners pay for energy efficiency improvements via their electricity bills. In January, a survey from Rexel of more than 2,000 respondents, found that 96 percent of Brits had never heard of the Green Deal. Now, 11 months later, it appears not much has changed, according to The Guardian, which reports that only 57 Green Deal projects have been completed, a surprisingly low number.
According to a government report, 85,177 energy assessments were lodged up to the end of September, but only 954 Green Deal Plans had reached the quote accepted stage. Of these, 392 were new quotes for GD Plans, 505 had moved to pending (Plan signed) and 57 were live (measures installed).
A September opinion poll conducted by the UK government, itself, found that only 28 percent of citizens were thinking about implementing home energy savings despite the fact that 84 percent of people were worried about price increases of energy. Recently several major utilities in Great Britain announced price hikes. But even that hasn’t affected consumer inertia. The government poll found that only one in three people is considering switching energy suppliers – the same percentage as a similar poll conducted last year.
Friends of the Earth energy campaigner Sophie Neuburg told The Guardian: “The coalition’s flagship green deal has been a complete flop. With so much concern about rocketing fuel bills it’s staggering that the government isn’t doing more to help people slash energy waste, the most cost-effective way to cut household energy bills and tackle climate change.”
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management