Green Energy in UK Pumps Up Corporate Electric Rates
Initiatives aimed at combating climate change have driven electrical rates for industrial customers in the UK and the EU up by 28 percent since 2003, according to Business Electricity Prices, an online portal for businesses to compare electric costs across the UK.
Business Electricity Prices says its system, which compares the business commercial tariffs across a number of the leading suppliers, shows a large gap between the one with the highest corporate prices, and the supplier with the lowest prices.
The online platform compares prices from British Gas, Atlantic Electric, Countrywide and Equi Power, among others. Businesses can input their current energy details and prices to compare business energy rates and find the best deals.
Recently, some analysis from the Environmental Data Interactive Exchange found that businesses across the UK could save more than $5.6 billion annually by investing in energy-efficient equipment.
In January, the UK government simplified its carbon-reporting scheme in an effort to reduce administrative costs for businesses. Rather than reporting emissions on 29 fuel sources, the Carbon Reduction Commitment’s (CRC’s) Energy Efficiency Scheme began requiring reporting on only two energy sources: electricity and gas for heating.
An initiative in San Francisco for Shell Oil to provide 100 percent renewable energy for some customers in the city is facing opposition from those who say the cost will be too steep.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management