Green Energy in UK Pumps Up Corporate Electric Rates
Initiatives aimed at combating climate change have driven electrical rates for industrial customers in the UK and the EU up by 28 percent since 2003, according to Business Electricity Prices, an online portal for businesses to compare electric costs across the UK.
Business Electricity Prices says its system, which compares the business commercial tariffs across a number of the leading suppliers, shows a large gap between the one with the highest corporate prices, and the supplier with the lowest prices.
The online platform compares prices from British Gas, Atlantic Electric, Countrywide and Equi Power, among others. Businesses can input their current energy details and prices to compare business energy rates and find the best deals.
Recently, some analysis from the Environmental Data Interactive Exchange found that businesses across the UK could save more than $5.6 billion annually by investing in energy-efficient equipment.
In January, the UK government simplified its carbon-reporting scheme in an effort to reduce administrative costs for businesses. Rather than reporting emissions on 29 fuel sources, the Carbon Reduction Commitment’s (CRC’s) Energy Efficiency Scheme began requiring reporting on only two energy sources: electricity and gas for heating.
An initiative in San Francisco for Shell Oil to provide 100 percent renewable energy for some customers in the city is facing opposition from those who say the cost will be too steep.
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards