Green Energy in UK Pumps Up Corporate Electric Rates
Initiatives aimed at combating climate change have driven electrical rates for industrial customers in the UK and the EU up by 28 percent since 2003, according to Business Electricity Prices, an online portal for businesses to compare electric costs across the UK.
Business Electricity Prices says its system, which compares the business commercial tariffs across a number of the leading suppliers, shows a large gap between the one with the highest corporate prices, and the supplier with the lowest prices.
The online platform compares prices from British Gas, Atlantic Electric, Countrywide and Equi Power, among others. Businesses can input their current energy details and prices to compare business energy rates and find the best deals.
Recently, some analysis from the Environmental Data Interactive Exchange found that businesses across the UK could save more than $5.6 billion annually by investing in energy-efficient equipment.
In January, the UK government simplified its carbon-reporting scheme in an effort to reduce administrative costs for businesses. Rather than reporting emissions on 29 fuel sources, the Carbon Reduction Commitment’s (CRC’s) Energy Efficiency Scheme began requiring reporting on only two energy sources: electricity and gas for heating.
An initiative in San Francisco for Shell Oil to provide 100 percent renewable energy for some customers in the city is facing opposition from those who say the cost will be too steep.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room