‘Green Steam’ Expands in Boston
A “Green Steam” project that includes a 7,000-foot steam pipeline extension has been completed in the Boston-Cambridge district energy network by Veolia North America. The $112 million project includes the planned reconfiguration of the recently acquired Kendall Station combined heat and power plant.
Green Steam is an innovative environmental solution that captures and reuses heat that was previously lost to the environment. Additionally, “Green Steam” infrastructure improvements support sustainable development in Boston and Cambridge by increasing the LEED ratings of buildings that tie into the system.
Thermal energy from Kendall Station is minimizing the environmental impact to the Charles River by eliminating pollution and decreasing the temperature of the river.
In Boston and Cambridge, Veolia’s district energy networks meet the critical energy requirements of 250 customers in the central business district of Boston, the biotechnology corridor of Cambridge, and the Longwood Medical Area. Veolia’s 256-MW cogeneration/combined heat and power facility efficiently recycles the heat from its power generation process into useful thermal energy.
Photo: James Flickr photostream
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management